Mentioned in Pevsner's Authoritative Work 'Buildings of England', Adderbury House is a substantial Grade II listed eight bedroom manor house overlooking private parkland set in 45 acres with two cottages.
Originally dating from the 17th century, the house was remodelled and extended during the Georgian period and retains classic features from this elegant architectural era. The house has recently undergone an extensive renovation project with huge attention to detail to restore the original features to bring it back to its former glory and create a stunning home. Throughout the property the many original features include staircases, rooms of grand proportions with high ceilings and cornicing, shutters, window seats and wall panelling. Many of the fireplaces remain and of particular note, are the traditional Georgian style windows and the external 19th century columned stone portico entrance which emphasise the elegance of the property. The front of the house faces south with far reaching uninterrupted views over the parkland and countryside beyond.
The layout of Adderbury House is ideal for family living and entertaining. The house can be separated on the ground floor into two distinct areas to suit both needs. The panelled reception hall provides an impressive entrance to the house with two wings leading off. Occupying the west wing are the formal entertaining rooms which include the dining room and the drawing room/ballroom with adjoining bar and cloakroom providing a perfect space for entertaining on a grand scale. The East wing provides the everyday living space with study, sitting room with two sets of French doors to the garden and the kitchen/breakfast room, beyond which are the boot room, utility room and the media/family room. The kitchen, which has direct access to the formal garden, has been beautifully fitted with Sub Zero, Wolf and Gaggenau appliances. The laundry room, store and further cloakroom are arranged off a glass link which opens to an internal courtyard garden.
Occupying the first, second and third floors, are eight bedroom suites seven of which have separate dressing rooms and bathrooms (all with underfloor heating). Of particular note is the master bedroom suite, which occupies the west wing of the house taking in the outstanding view enjoyed from two sets of windows opening to Juliet balconies. The suite has a central bathroom and two dressing rooms. A laundry room and kitchenette are conveniently located on the first floor. A lift from the ground floor serves the first and second floors. The property has full CCTV and alarm security system. The televisions are operated on the Creston control system.
The cellars, which include the boiler room and plant room, have been completely refurbished to provide an exceptional stone arched wine cellar.
In addition to the current accommodation and enhancing the house further planning permission has been granted(application no: 1701260/F) to erect an orangery and indoor/outdoor swimming pool with changing room on the east side of the house ideally located to form part of the formal gardens. There is also a proposal for a new secondary access and driveway (planning permission not yet obtained).
Accessed via a separate gated entrance at the rear of the house, the two cottages are arranged off a courtyard and provide ideal staff accommodation. Cottage 1 benefits from, cloakroom, sitting room, study, kitchen on the ground floor and three bedrooms (1 en-suite) and a bathroom on the first floor. It also enjoys a garden. Cottage 2 comprises a ground floor kitchen with a sitting room, two bedrooms and two bathrooms arranged on the first floor.
The house is approached via a Grade II listed grand Tuscan arched entrance from where the driveway, lined to the left by a Grade II listed 18th century Loggia, proceeds to the front of the house. The formal landscaped gardens with terrace are located on the east side. The remainder of the grounds are arranged to the front of the house including an orchard and grazing land which provides a lovely setting and extensive views.
HISTORY Adderbury House dates from the 17th century and was once the home of earls and dukes. It was owned by Henry Wilmot, 1st Earl of Rochester, who fought on the Royalist side during the English Civil War. Wilmot was a cavalry commander with Prince Rupert of the Rhine, and both men kept troops at Adderbury House. The house has been remodelled several times and extended in 1722. James Gibbs made unexecuted designs for garden buildings for the 2nd Duke of Argyll in about 1725. Roger Morris added arcaded wings in 1731. Sir William Chambers made alterations to the house for the 3rd Duke of Buccleuch in about 1768. The house was largely demolished in 1808. In the19th century, Adderbury House was owned by Major Larnach. When his Adderbury-trained horse Jeddah won the Derby at odds of 100–1 and also won at Ascot, the Major paid for the building of the Village Institute which opened in 1898.
The gardens and parkland were altered through the 18th and 19th centuries, the park believed to have been landscaped by Capability Brown in about 1768. In the 20th century part of the park, including the lakes, known as Adderbury Lakes, an officially designated Nature Reserve, was given to Oxfordshire County Council as a park for the village.
Ground floor: Reception hall, Dining room, Drawing room/ballroom, Bar, Study, Sitting room, Kitchen/breakfast room, Family/media room, 2 cloakrooms, laundry room, utility room, boot room, Lift.
First floor: Master bedroom suite with 2 dressing rooms and bathroom • 2 further bedroom suites each with dressing rooms and bathrooms, Laundry room, Kitchenette, Lift.
Second floor: 4 bedroom suites each with dressing rooms and bathrooms, 2 Laundry rooms, Lift.
Third floor: Bedroom with en-suite bathroom.
Extensive Cellars, Boiler room, Plant room.
Ground floor: Independent access with communal entrance hall, Sitting room, Kitchen, Study, Cloakroom.
First floor: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.
Ground floor: Independent access with communal entrance hall, kitchen, dining room.
First floor: Sitting room, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Gardens & Grounds
Formal landscaped gardens, orchard and parkland
In all about 45 acres (18.4) (comprising garden, parkland and paddocks).
SITUATION Located just south of the market town of Banbury, Adderbury is a particularly sought after village noted for the many honey-coloured limestone cottages and houses in the older parts of the village. Excellent local facilities include a hairdresser, post office, library, village store, a number of public houses and a fine fourteenth century church. The nearby market town of Banbury offers retail, sporting and leisure facilities. Local education includes a primary school in the village and the Warriner Comprehensive in Bloxham. Prep schools are St Johns Priory (Banbury) and Carrdus (Overthorpe), Winchester House (Brackley). Senior independent schools; Bloxham (3 miles), Tudor Hall, Stowe School, Sibford, Warick and the well reputed Oxford schools. There are two private bus services, one for Warwick School and another for Oxford schools. Access to the M40 motorway can be gained at Ardley (Jct 10) and from Banbury (Jct 11). From Banbury there is also a mainline railway station to London Marylebone.
Sporting and leisure activities include an excellent squash and tennis club in Adderbury itself; golf on the edge of the village and at Tadmarton Heath, horse racing at Warwick, Stratford and Towcester, motor racing at Silverstone, Bannatyne's Health Club in Bodicote, RSC in Stratford-upon-Avon and a multitude of cultural activities in Oxford. Private members club Soho Farmhouse is located a 15 minute drive from the property.
DIRECTIONS Proceed North from Oxford on the A4260 Banbury Road passing through Kidlington and Deddington and on to Adderbury. Proceed into the village and take the right hand turn into Lake Walk where the entrance to the house will be seen straight ahead.
VIEWING ARRANGEMENTS Strictly by appointment with Penny & Sinclair.
SERVICES All mains services are connected. Creston smart home automation system. Underfloor heating in the kitchen and bathrooms.
FIXTURES & FITTINGS Certain items may be available by separate negotiation with Penny & Sinclair.
TENURE & POSSESSION The property is freehold with vacant possession on completion.
LOCAL AUTHORITY Cherwell District Council
Telephone: 01295 227001
IMPORTANT NOTICE Penny & Sinclair, their clients and any joint agent gives notice to anyone reading these particulars that:
i) the particulars do not constitute part of an offer or contract; ii) all descriptions, dimensions, references to the condition and necessary permissions for use and occupation, and other details are given without responsibility and any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statement or representations of fact. iii) the text, photographs and plans are guidelines only and are not necessarily comprehensive. Any reference to alterations to, or use of, any part of the property does not mean that all necessary planning, building regulations or other consents have been obtained and Penny & Sinclair have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. A buyer or lessee must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise. iv) the descriptions provided therein represent the opinion of the author and whilst given in good faith should not be construed as statements of fact; v) nothing in the particulars shall be deemed a statement that the property is in good condition or otherwise, nor that any services or facilities are in good working order; vi) no person in the employment of Penny & Sinclair has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property. vii) all measurements are approximate.
This is a Freehold property.
Property Ref: 40924_SSS200012
8 Bedroom Detached House | Guide Price £14,000,000
An eight bedroom Grade II listed manor house, which has undergone extensive renovation with planning permission to creat...
6 Bedroom Semi-Detached House | Guide Price £3,950,000
A beautifully renovated semi-detached Victorian house built in 1880 to a design by N W Harrison located in one of Oxford...
5 Bedroom Semi-Detached House | Guide Price £3,000,000
An impressive five bedroom Victorian town house conveniently situated in desirable Central North Oxford built in 1880 to...