This wonderful country residence originally dates from 1891 although it is believed there has been a property on the site far back as 959 AD. The house takes its name from a magnificent ancient yew tree located on the westerly lawn. The house was substantially enlarged in 1908 in the 'Arts and Crafts' style. The ground floor retains much of the early 20th Century character with an impressive oak staircase, wall panelling and open fireplaces. There are open views from principle rooms over the formal gardens.
There are 14 bedroom suites in the main house and 2 further suites above the function room. The air conditioned function suite was added circa 2010, as the property is currently run as a private event venue. This, therefore, represents the ideal lifestyle opportunity for a buyer to occupy and operate a similar business. Alternative, other uses could be explored such as reversion to a unique private residence, subject to obtaining the necessary statutory consents.
SUMMARY OF ACCOMMODATION
• Magnificent Reception hall, elegant drawing room, lounge bar, conservatory, dining room, office, catering kitchen, utility room, refrigeration room, family room, cloakrooms, two ground floor
• Twelve first floor bedrooms – all with en-suite facilities
• Attic, boiler room, basement
• Entertainment suite with bar, function hall (14.3m x 13.6m), cloakrooms, washroom, two first floor bedrooms – both en-suite. The function area could potentially convert to an indoor leisure facility including swimming pool (subject to the necessary consents).
• Outbuildings, extensive car parking
• In total approximately 8.7 acres
The grounds are a particular feature. The house is approached over a long sweeping driveway, which also leads to extensive car parking areas. The formal gardens surrounding the house are park like, with many mature specimen trees, herbaceous beds, further tall majestic trees, all flanked by larger areas of lawn.
With outstanding views over its own land, the property is located about 1.9 miles from the old market town of East Grinstead which offers a wide range of facilities, including mainline station, Waitrose, cinema, community theatre, and a good choice of schools. Chartham Park, an exceptional golf and fitness club set in beautiful countryside, is closeby.
Lingfield village is about 2.2 miles away. Centred around a picturesque pond, the village offers local shopping facilities, the Church of St Peter and St Paul and a choice of pubs and restaurants. Just outside of the village is the mainline station, the renowned Lingfield Racecourse, and the highly regarded Lingfield College, an independent day school.
The A22 provides access to the M25 and thus London and the suburbs, the south coast, Gatwick and Heathrow Airports and the Channel Tunnel terminus.
Property Ref: 60161_100126008891
5 Bedroom Detached House | Guide Price £1,200,000
A truly delightful Grade 2 * listed Five Bedroom Detached residence dating back to the 15th century. Offering a tremendo...